Monday, March 21, 2011

"Daniel's Mood - Mestizos", my play, was recently published by XLibris.  The protagonist, Maricela, a Filipino immigrant in the mid-60s, escapes a violent domestic situation with her son, Agustin.  They move to Seattle where she becomes a reporter.  She encounters Daniel, a young Filipino teenager while taking Agustin to a youth program.   She's concerned about the loss of family and culture and fears her son will become like his father.  Daniel helps them resolve their situation.  The play is available through several sources including Amazon and Barnes and Noble.


(A spotlight comes up on Maricela.  
She sits on a small bed at front center stage. The bed is furnished with a coarse blanket and a pillow. There’s a second bed in the
                                                                                             dark behind her where Agustin sleeps.)
                    


MARICELA (Monologue)
See my boy sleeping as if nothing has happened. He’s my lifeline. I would die if he wasn’t with me. He doesn’t understand. He had to leave school…his friends. I wish I could have changed that. I told myself he was young and would make new ones. He missed his father. Strange. Missed the man who beat him. I fear he’ll turn out like my husband. Agustin’s growing. I worry. In the community, he’s mestizo…half white and half Filipino. He won’t fit in.

Agustin and I found a shelter. There were other women. Blacks. Whites. Some with children. I was the only Filipina. Our room was small…dark. Cold. We kept the windows closed so no one could see us. We were invisible. Our nights filled with endless crying. Women wept. Children wept. We shared bathrooms…meals. The house was full but we were alone. We stayed a few weeks. Tried to figure out what to do…where we’d go. I was afraid.

I thought about ama and inay, my parents. What would they say? I’m ashamed. So very ashamed. I failed…my marriage failed…I’m failing my son. I cannot tell them. They wouldn’t understand. They wouldn’t forgive. There’s no one.

I couldn’t sleep. I thought my husband would report me. I stayed awake listening for a knock on the door. I’d thought I’d be arrested…deported. They would send Agustin to my husband. I’d never see my son again. I pulled the covers over my head. 

The agency helped. They said we’d be safer if we left the city. We could disappear. They made arrangements for us to go to Seattle. I knew there was a large Filipino community there. I thought I might make friends and find support.  

I wanted to start over. Needed to get out. I wanted a chance for Agustin. I wanted to be with my family. That wasn’t possible but I could find my community. At least, there would be people who understood…who ate the same food…spoke my language. I missed the chatter of family life.

Maybe things will change. I can only hope and pray. I say a rosary each night. (Picks up her rosary and holds it to her chest.) It was my mother’s…all I have left. God will help. The Holy Mother will help. I have to believe. (Begins to pray.) Hail Mary full of grace…..

                                                      (Lights down. End of Monologue)

No comments:

Post a Comment