Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Neighborhood (Continued)

Quiet Day

Warm weather drew me
to my morning's half-mowed lawn.
I brought a novel to read
as I considered yesterday's unfinished chore.
I'd tired after a few minutes
pushing and pulling the cutter
over mole-mounds rutting the uneven earth
and up the bank.

I sat on the wooden sun-warm steps
by the Ceanothus and watched bees
flit the flower blooms.  Nils restocked
his hive and its workers buzz
in and out of this small office tower.
A neighbor squirrel scurries the Japanese maple
scolded by two Stellar Jays.
Ladybugs surf the herb boxes
on leaves of garlic, cilantro and thyme.
Slug trails evaporate near the rocks
beyond the bitten hostas.

Catalina hung wind-chimes above the porch,
silent in this quiet day.
I open my book to another chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment